Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Verse Disection

It was a beautiful day for biking. I know that as the summer goes on, it will get hotter and that won't be nearly so enjoyable, but I think for a bit longer, it will be wonderful.

I decided to begin reading through Proverbs today. I have read through the Psalms a lot, but I haven't read Proverbs so much. I decided to camp on Proverbs 1:7, " The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, but fools despise wisdom and discipline." I think I've always wondered what that meant. I think that when you fear God, you acknowledge someone besides yourself. You are willing to put your faith in God, because you acquire a right understanding of who you are in relation to God. One meaning of fear is to be "in reverence of." Reverence means (sorry, I have to do it for my own good.), "attitude of deep respect." When we respect God, as God, we are able to admit that we have nothing to offer and that's when we are able to learn, or become wise. Next it says, fools despise wisdom and discipline. Where did this discipline come from? What does it have to do with wisdom? In order to become wise, we must be willing to accept the discipline that comes from God and those around us. I think. But the next step is, how do I apply this to my life? I think a lot of times, we consider God to be our friend. I think this kind of a problem with our American theology. We're all about having some friends. Who isn't? But God is a God of consuming fire, of strength and holiness, Lord most high. I think that we miss something when we're like "God's my friend" and it stops there. In the Bible God calls people His friends, but I don't think anyone in there ever says the reverse. Just something to think about.

I ate chocolate ice cream today. And I have a professor named Terry. Which makes me think of dinosaurs.


Current time: 8:30
Currently reading: History of Africa, Walt Whitman and Star Girl
Currently laughing at: Roommates. They are funny.

2 comments:

McKinney said...

i like your posts.

and i like being blog buddies.

Anonymous said...

wow! Terry??? that's cool...except for I don't know him, or could it be a she? Because Terry is kinda gender neutral in today's society, though I much prefer it in the masculine sense...I like girls to have girly names like: Emily, Megan, Stephanie, Susie, or Dolly. Ok, so I don't really like Dolly, but you get my drift.

Look look. See the Title of my blog! It should make you smile....but it is only going to stay up for like a week or so. So soak it in while you can!