Thursday, May 22, 2008

Lessons from a park bench and other...things.

Today I walked out of African History to Foust Park, also known as the Salad Bowl to sit on my bench and eat my lunch. I was horrified to find some girl sitting on it. I'd been sitting there for "years"! I settled on a bench across the way so I could sit there and think horrible insults in my head like "bench stealer". Crushing, I know. One boy walking, looked at me and walked very close to my bench, all I could think was "I bet I stole your bench. See Bench Stealer, what a fuss you've caused." I'm not even kidding. Sometimes I just need to chill out and I need people to just be like, "seriously, Em?" I just get worked up about silly things, when it counts I'm pretty together. I feel like I have to defend myself since I just told you that silly story, anyways, I was reminded that nothing is mine, certainly not that bench, graciously donated by some alumni. Maybe that girl needed to sit on the best bench in the park. I began to think about meekness, giving up rights- giving up what's "yours". And I was reminded about flexibility and selflessness. All this from a park bench. You might say I'm an over thinker, or over analytical. Or you might say, I just want to learn, from everything.

Tonight I babysat for Noah (4) and Joshua (2). We played outside, got baths (I was pretty proud of how wet I didn't get.), and they got put to bed. I read to Joshua and then I sung "Jesus loves me," as is a bedtime tradition for him. As I held Joshua, his head on my shoulder, singing those simple words, I think it sunk in more for me than for him. I read to Noah about Adam and Eve, at his request and when Eve was being tempted, I said, "Noah, I am so worried, what's going to happen?" and he said, "I can't tell you," he said, "You have to keep reading." I would also like to report that I asked Noah if he were a dinosaur what his face would look like. It was pretty fierce, so watch out, dino world.

Jesus loves me this I know, for the Bible tells me so. Little ones to Him belong, they are weak, but he is strong. Yes Jesus, loves me, yes Jesus loves me, yes Jesus loves me, the Bible tells me so.

---

Shortly after, as the Serenades gratefully played "Stardust," Hillari Kimble walked up to Stargirl and said, "You ruin everything." And she slapped her. The crowd grew instantly still. The two girls stood facing each other for a long minute. Those nearby saw in Hillari's shoulders and eyes a flinching: She was waiting to be struck in reply. And in fact, when Stargirl finally moved, Hillari winced and shut her eyes. But it was lips that touched her, not the palm of a hand. Stargirl kissed her gently on the cheek. She was gone by the time Hillari opened her eyes. - Stargirl, Jerry Spinelli

Currently reading: The Outsiders
Currently waiting for: Ann to come home from her cross country travels
Current time: 10:27
Currently consuming: waffles and cream cheese, and coffee, also Laughy Taffy. I love Laughy Taffy, it's so funny. It really does make me laugh (What do you call a dinosaur that's sleeping? A DINOSNORE. Come on, that's funny.)

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

it's funny how we seem to take ownership of public space. i do that a lot at coffee shops and stuff, like someone is sitting in 'my seat'


What do you call it when a dinosaur gets in a car accident?
A tyrannasaurus wreck!

Emily said...

thanks for the comment! and for the blog -- i TOTALLY understand the overly-analytical nature.