Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The HEAT bus isn't running all summer. I will ride my bike and be sweaty and awesome.

Yesterday I decided to go home after much debate. Oh Wake Forest. Lindy has been having horrible headaches and shaking. She's had to go to the neurologist and be cat scanned and when I walked in the door she said, "Hi Emmy, I got this bruise from an IV." So I went home before summer school to try to be helpful. I really miss Chelsea and Lindy when I don't get to see them. Having sisters is one of my favorite things ever. It's like built in buddies. I'm sad that I don't get to see Lindy very often and I know that it hurts her too. I try to help her with her homework when I come home to make up for it. I knitted while Mom sewed; some strange womanly type of bonding. Dad wasn't there, I was bummed. He's my favorite man. I really love my family. They frustrate me greatly, but they are so delightful at the same time. Tonight on the way to Greensboro, I stopped in to see Miss Megan Finger. It was so nice. It's so good to be with people that love you and understand where you are coming from. As I drove down the road, I wished so badly that I'd brought my camera. The sky was so gorgeous. The clouds were gigantic and white, the sky all peachy and heaven-like. The world was newly washed by rain and the trees were alive.

I tried to talk to Mom about living in Glenwood again. She and Dad don't view it the way I do at all. They are not fans. Mom says that they're not comfortable with me living there without a man...what if I never get married? Veronica has this idea that Nicole and I will leave her when we get married, and well, we will, because otherwise that would be really weird, but we keep reassuring her that she has nothing to worry about since neither of us have any one to marry. I am praying that God will give my parents peace, and through that He will confirm what I feel so strongly to be what He has for me. It's funny because I was talking to Joey about GUPY and he said that the other incoming summer GUPYs were nervous and he was like, "They are going to have their eyes opened. For me, it's like hanging out with friends all summer." Because I have a budding relationship with the neighborhood, I see it differently than other people do. I wish that my parents could have sat through Kingdom Living. I'm just not the same person that I was when I started college. I have come to believe that Jesus was serious when He talked about serving the poor, and loving your neighbor. I have come to believe that if something were to happen to me because of my commitment to loving the poor, than it happened because God allowed it to happen. I have come to believe that we are to fight injustice as an act of worship, even though it might not make a change. I have come to believe that there are more purposeful ways of living than to build my own kingdom. Mom will agree to me getting rid of my TV, or having a compost (I am pro both.), but not to my moving in to Glenwood. It's too extreme. I am not content with living without passion, or blindly. Jesus is the ultimate example of relocation. This comes Philippians 2: Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:
[Jesus]Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be grasped,
but made himself nothing,
taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
and became obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

My giving things up is nothing compared to the riches found in life through Christ. I felt so sad all week at Rockbridge because as I learned over and over that my heart was seeking things dear to Christ, I couldn't help thinking about how my parents wouldn't understand. We will see. I have to trust that if this is truly what God has for me, he will make a way. He is the maker of ways.



I will never get over the feeling that I have when I drive back into Greensboro.




Currently listening to: Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, This Guy's in Love with You
Currently reading: The Little Prince
Currently should be doing: Sleeping
Real time: 11:59 PM

2 comments:

McKinney said...

mmm.

i like that a lot. good job em j.

Dayna said...

Hey Emily -- Just found your blog. I'll add it to my Google Reader :)

I know it's hard that your parents don't want you to move here...but be thankful that they care that much. That's huge. I'll be praying with you that if it's God's will for you to be here, that he will soften their hearts toward the idea.

And, you know, you can always tell them that I haven't been murdered yet ;)