Monday, May 26, 2008

I met the man who lives under the bridge.

I am watching Rory and Lorelei eat cake. Oh man. But it's okay, because I'm drinking coffee so it's almost as good. I may have mentioned this before, but when I watch Gilmore Girls, I just want to drink coffee and eat pie. Cake works too. I have been watching Gilmore Girls like there's no tomorrow and there isn't. This is not why I'm blogging, but it is important.

Today I was pumping gas (Ya know, you don't really pump anything...) when I was approached by a man. His name was Anthony. He was hungry. I can identify with this. He asked me for money, I said, "No, can I buy you something?" So we walked into the gas station, and I bought him a sandwich. But this is why I'm writing about this. He told me he needed extra onions because he had cancer and they would help him. (This is medically proven. I googled it.) The lady making the sandwich stopped putting on onions and he didn't think there were enough. Anthony got very angry and impatient and began to argue with her. I was standing there, trying to give the woman the "I'm so sorry, he doesn't mean it" look. I started to get angry myself. Because here I was trying to re-bestow humanity, show him his worth. I shook his hand, found out his name, listened to a little about him. He lived under the bridge. For as long as I can remember, I've looked up under the bridge and I've looked for him. He was mine; I know, I've got a problem with that. I just figure, it makes the world a little better, even if he doesn't know, to have someone worrying about everyone. I don't think that made sense, but I just don't care to parse it further. And in turn, he began to yell at the woman behind the counter, taking her humanity. I guess I can understand because it is really hard to ask for help, and maybe he felt like he had to make himself seem important by making her seem less important. I dunno, it just made me sad/mad. When I payed the lady, she said, "We see this all the time." I apologized for him. And then I gave him a quarter for the bus, and told him I'd pray for him.

I guess the thing is that woman's remark stuck with me. "We see this all the time." I have lived here for three years and I've seen it. I just hope that I never become jaded and used to it. I hope that it always affects me. I hope that I always remember that God cares for the birds, and he cares for us so much more. No matter how many sandwiches are bought, or quarters given, or kind words spoken, I am powerless to change lives. Only God has the power to change people. I've got to remember that. God doesn't need me, but He is willing and pleased to use me. He is willing and pleased to put people in my path, so that I can love them with the heart He is renewing in me, and then release them.

It's beautiful out. Make sure you take advantage of that.


Current time: 3:31 PM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmm...you always make things make sense to me...good job. :)

I feel you on the situation with Anthony. I had a similar run-in with a man (I wasn't able to find out his name due to class starting in 5 minutes). I saw him sitting on the concrete curb in front of an old condemned grocery store, and I thought, you know, I need to help that man, but I didn't want to give him cash because you never know what they are going to buy (and I didn't want to keep adding to the problem that possibly got him to this point: alcohol, drugs, etc) so I went down to McDonald's and got him a bacon, egg, and cheese biscuit combo (with Coca-Cola), and I took it back and gave it to him. He seemed taken back when I gave it to him, and this made me think, "You know, its sad when someone being nice to someone else is out of the ordinary and makes someone go on the defensive..." So I gave him the food and told him that I hoped he had a good day and that I was praying for him, then I went on to class. I never saw that man again, and I still wonder sometimes how he's doing or where he is now. I think God does put those people in our lives to hit us with reality like a punch in the face.....


also, the lightsaber was because I was playing a Star Wars game on Xbox...haha...just thought you might wanna know...