Friday, June 20, 2008

This sermon was given in March, and I still think about it.

In March, Greg gave the best sermon I have ever heard. I really do still think about what he said, which is crazy, because it was in March. Katie and I had a conversation about people in her Religion class who think Christians just want to go to Heaven so they can watch everyone suffer in Hell. (As if we will have nothing better to do than sit there and watch them.) I've heard other views too. I don't even really think Christians have a right doctrine of Heaven. I guess that's why this sermon was incredible to me. And actually applicable to my life.

March 16, 2008 - Greg [Spring Garden]

Revelation 21, 22

We long for something better.
This impacts our lives now.
Should not make us live small lives.

Heaven is the fuel that makes us live radically and passionately.

Doctrine of Heaven

- Gives us a reason to live "better" now.
God will redeem and heal creation (not do away with it)
22:2 tree of life regenerated
Makes us become agents of healing, allows us to live/ love radically.

- Gives us hope and strength for this life
21, when John describes Heaven he says, "like", because Heaven is infinitely better
We know that something better is coming

-God as the Source
21:22-23, 22:5, God gives everything
God is not someone to get things from, what we really want at the core of it, is Him

What does it mean to begin to see God as the Source? How will that be reflected in my life?


---
And speaking of Heaven, Noah (age 3.5) and I had a conversation before he went to sleep last night about Jesus. He insisted that we read the story from his children's Bible where Jesus gets nailed to the cross. He told me that Jesus really got nailed there.
So I said, "Noah, why did Jesus get nailed to the cross."
Noah: He died for everyone.
Emily: Why did he have to die though?
Noah: For everyone.
Emily: Yes, he died for everyone, but he had to die because we're sinners. What's a sinner, Noah?
Noah: People who love God?
Emily: Noooo. Have you ever done something bad?
Noah: No.
Emily: Have you ever hit Joshua (age 1.5)
Noah: No, but this one time Joshua hit me in the nose with a baseball bat.
Emily: Okay, well have you ever gotten angry at your parents?
Noah: No, but this one time Joshua got really mad.
Emily: Okay well, if you'd ever done something bad, that's why Jesus had to die on the cross.
Noah: If we love Jesus, when we die, we will live with Him in Heaven, but where is Jesus now?
Emily: Well, if you love Jesus, he lives in your heart. (Right about now, I had the thought that Christian theology is crazy.)
Noah: How does he break in there?
Emily: Well, it's not really like that. You just know He's there....
Noah: I don't feel Him.
Emily: You don't always. Good night, Noah.


I was trying so, so hard not to laugh because little Noah was so serious and I didn't make any sense and his answers and questions were so funny. Oh man...

In all my summers at camp, I never had such a precious, simple conversation with a child.



currently listening to: Hey There Delilah
current time: 10:20 AM
currently watching: three cats out my window and a boy stuffing all his early belongings into his coup. yesterday he was trying to fit a desk.


1 comment:

Megan said...

hahaha... "How does he break in there?"

It's so funny when we have to rethink theology and try to explain it to people who don't understand it. Because it really doesn't make sense sometimes.

I miss you.