Sunday, June 29, 2008

Sunday Thoughts

Church today was good. Greg's on sabbatical but Dave Plank (my friend Lauren's Dad) talked today. He tried to condense ... a million sermons into one, but I was able to take away some good things, with my finely honed note taking skills.

One thing that I took away was that my value as a child of God is not based on my impact. I think I forget that God just loves me. I feel like I have to serve God in a large way. One of my favorite quotes is by Mother Teresa and she says to do small things with big love. I love that concept, but even still I get unfocused and forget that God doesn't need me, but is willing and pleased to use me.

Mr. Plank talked about Jacob and how through his struggles with God he gains his true identity. I began to think about how, for us, it seems like things happen so quickly in the Bible. For example, Jacob loves Rachel and a few verses later he's married to her so it seems simple. But really it was 14 years later. 14 years of hard work and learning. Imagine how much Jacob must have struggled and questioned and longed in those years. And for 7 of those years, he was married to pokey ol' Leah instead of the woman he loved. (I mean, don't get me wrong, I feel sorry for Leah, but think about it from Jacob's perspective too.) What seems long to us is nothing in the end. I am too tired to keep writing.

I worked for 3.5 hours at the inn today cleaning rooms, and despite the belief of certain Osborne boys, it is hard work. And I will babysit tonight.

Gosh, I wish it would rain.





currently listening to: Sufjan, Size Too Small
currently reading: Three Musketeers
currently feeling: worn out and sickly.
real time: 5:28

1 comment:

Emily said...

<3
don't listen to those osbornes. ever.