Thursday, June 12, 2008

Let's call this something alliterative like: "Injustice and False Infinites"

Today in African History, we learned about the Soweto Uprising. In 1976, a group of South African school children were peacefully protesting apartheid law (a collection of systematic, hateful and racist laws made by white minority, white supremacist government officials) affecting them in school. The government sent in the police who opened fire, killing and wounding as many as 600 children. I kept tearing up when I first began thinking about it; in class, in the bathroom while I was re-fixing my hair, as I walked to the Salad Bowl/ Foust Park to eat my lunch. It was only after that uprising that the US government began to be concerned about the way the South African government situation was treating it's citizens. One lady raised her hand in class, saying that the media has changed so much since then, and that people in the US didn't even know what was going on over there. But how many issues around the world do we know about and simply turn a blind eye to? Then I'm torn though, because I don't really feel like the US should be in everyone's business. But in the face of blatant injustice, how can we ignore the going ons (er...) of the world? Always, always I'm asking, so how does this apply to me personally? While I am interesting in philosophizing, and great big ideas and concepts, I want to constantly be growing and taking action, not simply mourning the injustices of the past. How do I get involved in fighting injustices where I am now?

I am always blown away at how undervalued people seem to think prayer is in fighting injustice or anything for that matter. It's a last resort. Today Em Garrett and Katie Call and I walked through the low income neighborhood where our church is located, praying that our church would develop a heart for the neighborhood where it is located, for the people we passed, for anything we thought of as we walked. We were fighting injustice and who can say the ramifications for the prayers prayed.

And now on to the "false infinites" part of our post. Switch gears here:

[Hosea 2:5,7]
"I will go after my lovers, who give me my bread and my water, my wool and my linen, my oil and my drink."
"I will return to my husband, for it was better for me then now"

How I feel these two statements from Gomer (Hosea's wife, a prostitute) describe us as people. I realize that that is the point, but today in my Bible dwelling, those statements stood out. Greg, my awesome pastor and friend, talks about how CS Lewis, my nerd crush, talks about false infinites. For Gomer, her false infinites, or the things she thought could bring her life, were her lovers and their provision. But suddenly her lovers are gone, she cannot overtake them. She is left empty and wanting more. So she returns to her husband, Hosea, knowing that he actually loves her and will provide for her. I'm sure you can see where we're going with this (and I'm sure you've heard it taken there before). Metaphorically speaking: Gomer = people, Hosea = God.

This got me wondering: what are my "false infinites"? I think that mine might be people/relationships, plans and consistency. Those things aren't bad in and of themselves, but when I rest in those, instead of resting in God, I am placing the weight of my soul on something that cannot support it.


currently listening to: My Girlfriend, Working Title [Heart (unplugged)]
current time: 7:24
currently watching: the weather. to bike or not to bike?

7 comments:

Dayna said...

Emily, it's so good to hear about how much this class is affecting you. I'm proud of you for letting it hit you where it's uncomfortable.

Also, thank you, thank you, thank you for praying in Glenwood today. Please know that you are part of ministry and restoration here whether you are physically located here or not. Your heart for the people and kids here makes a difference, and your prayers carry a lot of weight. It's very encouraging to know that you guys came into Glenwood with a focused prayer. There's a shift happening (as there often is in the summertime), and prayer is much appreciated.

Feel free to come by or call me anytime you want to chat Glenwood (or anything else for that matter). I'd love to see you while you're here this summer.

Dayna said...

Actually, just realized that you were probably praying in the neighborhood that Spring Garden is located, right? hehe...thanks for praying there too! There's a common spirit among most low-income neighborhoods in Greensboro, and so it's awesome and heard by the Lord just the same :)

Emily said...

i think i still undervalue prayer... like i do it more for me than actually knowing or thinking it's going to do much. hmm...

also: the terrible bug! we used to have those in mary foust! i HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE them!
i'll have to show you my impression of them next time i see you.

Truthfully Thinking said...

You need to use spell checker or is your title really correct?

Emerly Sue said...

Dad...I'm pretty positive that it's spelled correctly, although I'm not sure which word you're referring to...

Megan said...

This post makes me think, a lot. You're so right about life!!!

DudaChris said...

What an interesting blog. Who ever would have guessed that pushing the "next blog" button on my page would be such an awesome read.

I am especially enthusiastic about your progression from questioning how to get involved where you are, to the power of prayer. I, like you, share my doubts occasionally about how powerful prayer is, but, I know that its power is real.

Your blog is very encouraging and I aim to frequent it a few more times.

Take care, God Bless,

Chris - Canada