Thursday, October 22, 2009

"Your Mom" Jokes Are Understandable In Any Language, I Guess.

I love my job. I love getting to interact with the students on a daily basis. I've been told that these first few years are precious because of the closeness in age that allows me to relate to my students so easily. It's so important for me to remember that my job is a privilege.

Today I had a really funny interaction with some of my second period students. I love Western because it's so diverse. Five of my fourteen students are Hispanic in second period and they usually chat in Spanish when they don't want me to know what they're talking about. I try to listen for curse words and other words that I shouldn't know but somehow picked up in my years of Spanish education. I had yet to say anything to them, because usually I really only pick up a word here or there. Today, M. and J. got into a friendly quarrel and when I sent M. back across the room his his desk, he let out a string of Spanish I couldn't even hope to understand except for that his sentence ended in "TU MADRE." I quickly cut in saying "M! Stop talking about his mom!" Class came to somewhat of a standstill as all my Spanish speaking students "oooo-d" at the fact that I understood and that I called M. out. It was a proud moment for me. And it was funny, especially considering that I have no idea what M. really said to J. because I only understood two words. After the yelling and the shock subsided, we were able to focus and finish The Crucible.

I must say, reading The Crucible has been really fun because the students fight over which part they are going to read, which I love! If there's going to be a fight in my classroom, please let it always be over who gets to read John Proctor or Revered Hale. It's so much fun to teach something that your students want to learn.

Also, while I have your attention I would like to mention that comments like "How am I not making an A in here- this is English. This is my language and English is like the easiest class ever." make me really mad. Comments like this make me want to throw whiteboard markers or something...It makes me want to say "maybe you should stop acting entitled to grades and whip your little tail in gear." Kids these days...

Who am I kidding? I love them. Dearly.



currently listening to: Death Cab and coughing right outside my window

2 comments:

grace said...

i listened to death cab today too!! woo hooooo!! :)

Jeremy said...

I have to say that most of my spanish interactions have been picking one word out of a sentence and trying to figure out what they are saying. So I can resonate with this. Also, Your Mom jokes are the best. Just make sure that they don't use You're Mom jokes, those aren't grammatically correct.