Monday, October 5, 2009

Loneliness and Change

I have now completed day three of teaching. I have also moved into my house. Thus far living is everything I thought it would be: boring, lonely and isolating. But I have plenty of extroverted friends who assure me it grows on them, so I am hoping that in a few weeks I will feel adjusted. I feel so in between in the friend department currently. I’m not a college student, and I’m not married/dating anyone which are the categories my friends seem to fall into these days. I hate seeming needy. I have trying to get in touch with people because I’m all by myself. I grow so weary of always taking care of myself, but this is adulthood. A little old lady at the bank today told me her life story today and it was the most delightful thing ever because someone was talking to me as an equal. I really enjoy my students so far. I created a seating chart today after class because I had a little too much talking. Hopefully this will nip it in the bud. If it doesn’t, I will have the joy of calling parents. The past three days have been a little frustrating because I’m still not quite in the system and so I can’t even get on my computer. I’m sure in a few weeks, this too will work itself out.

I know that this is just an adjustment. I am so blessed to have a beautiful little house and a cat. I am so blessed to be employed. I am just feeling very unsettled, I guess.

I am sure that at the end of this experience I will be Emily Jackson, adult extraordinaire.


Antidote of the day:

Today I wore an outfit kind of like Zooey Deshchanel in 500 Days of Summer. You know like this:



I looked cute.

Today was also Blast From the Past day because it's spirit week. When I was taking attendance today, one of my students said, "Oh, you're dressed up today too!" I denied it and the whole class burst out laughing. It was funny. And I'm pretty sure I blushed. But seriously, you can't not laugh at that.

2 comments:

katiemt said...

hey tootse, trust me, it will change. the adjustment is just something that has to happen. and i'm not just whistling dixie at you...i'm speaking from experience! =) i love and miss you very much and you are going to be a BRILLIANT teacher and soon you are going to love coming home to your thoughts and your cat :)

Megan said...

hahaha that is awesome. And I bet your outfit was way cute :)