Monday, September 28, 2009

Job-full

I was in the middle of packing up my classroom stuff to get it all into the car when the sky broke open, pouring rain. Thus I declare a packing hiatus to write a bit here.

Wednesday I got my very first job offer after hounding princiPALs all summer. I didn't even believe it was real, so I pretty much had no reaction to it. It wasn't until today that it all hit me because I went to the high school to sign paperwork and begin setting up my classroom. I also took a break to look at an apartment. When the lady found out that I had just gotten a job as a high school teacher, she exclaimed that I looked like I should be in high school myself. I thanked her, and told her that I hoped I looked young forever, but really I wanted to punch her because I start teaching on THURSDAY. I don't have time to look young; just mean and old, ornery. No one will walk over me just because I am short and young. I will be a force to be reckoned with! At least, that is my dearest hope.

Anyways, let me tell you about these here precious chillins that I shall be receiving on THURSDAY. I have three classes because I was offered a part time position. I have two classes of 11th graders honors. I have one class of 9th grade CP. (college prep -- standard, don't be fooled by the lingo.) I think that my biggest class will be 22 students which is amazing. When I was student teaching, my biggest class was about 25, so I'm not really worried. What I am worried about is a lot, but I am certain that it will all work itself out. I have a lot of reading to do though, as I have to teaching things really soon that I have never read before. Also, I need somewhere to live. I am looking at two places tomorrow and hoping that one works out so I hopefully can move Saturday.

At any rate, I am incredibly humbled to be given the opportunity to get into the classroom. Today while I was waiting in the office I could hear someone making phone calls to tell other candidates that the English position had been filled. That has been me so many times. Praise God for his mercies in provision and patience.

PS. My new employer is Western Guilford High School. Their mascot is the Hornet and I am the proud owner of a parking pass and a Hornet lanyard. WHAT UP!





currently listening to: The Fray

4 comments:

grace said...

em. praise His faithful loving-kindness. reading this just made me smile. i am so so excited for you!! you're gonna be awesome! have fun being all hardcore and ornery....they'll love you. just like i do. :)

Jeremy said...

again, congratulations on the job! Enjoy the opportunity to influence these kid's lives. So don't be too ornery and hardcore. Just the right amount of ornery.

also, be sure to frequent tate street coffee.

Allen F. said...

Congrats!!!! I am sure you will do great on Thursday. I look forward to hearing (err... reading) how God blesses and grows you through this.

As much as it is hard for me to remember and believe sometimes God knows what he is doing.

Kristi said...

how exciting that God is bringing you back to Greensboro. this means we will get to be face-to-face friends next semester! I'll be praying for you in the morning (or should I say, afternoon, which will be your morning)