Thursday, September 10, 2009

The church follows suit.

Last night I went to a meeting about church planting. It was really interesting and by the time I left I felt like my brain was going to explode because I had so much I was thinking about.

Something that JD (my great pastor. Listen to Summit Church, Raleigh podcasts online!)said that really made me think was how redeeming society seems to be popular culture lately. It's true. Recycling and going green, fighting various human rights violations around the world, etc. (I'm not saying those things are bad.)The church follows suit. This should not be the case! The church should be at the forefront of any social action. We should care for the world and its people because we know that God does. We should be rushing into corners of the world to care for the marginalized and the hurting. We should be recycling, and caring for the planet because God commanded us to take care of the world when he gave it to us in Genesis. If the church lived like that, surely people would notice.

Change of direction:

This weekend I get to work at a retreat at camp. I am very excited because the age group is middle school. I haven't worked with kids in so long, much less kids over the age of 6. Also, Sunday night I am getting trained to teach an ESL class at church and I am totally pumped about it. I know Sunday night I will get a stomach ache and be totally nervous about having to go into a room full of people by myself, but right now I am over the moon! Now if I could just get a job so I could pay for life.



currently listening to: the Avett Brothers, Pretty Girl From Ceder Lane. The Avetts are a band that, in my mind, will always be associated with Greensboro. One fine day, I stumbled upon them at a street festival on Elm St.

2 comments:

Megan said...

I admire you so much for your wonderful assertiveness and willingness to be used by God. You will be a great ESL teacher! And what you said about rushing into the corners of the world to help the marginalized and the hurting is just perfect. I want my life to be that.

Jeremy said...

I absolutely agree with the first part of your post (not that i disagree with the rest), talking about how the church needs to be on the forefront of social justice issues, and not following along once it becomes popular. I think that's been something that I've been frustrated with. And even though there are plenty of church members at some churches that will argue that global warming and all that isn't a problem.. should that matter? We're called to be stewards of the earth, even if it's not on the brink of climate change.

Also, I wish i could discover the Avett brothers at a street fair in Chesapeake. but we don't have those.