Sunday, January 3, 2010

I just finished planning out tomorrow's lesson. We are going to talk about why music has an effect on people and causes people to respond in certain ways. Then we are going to read and discuss an excerpt from Frederick Douglass's My Bondage and My Freedom where he talks about slave music and it's effect on those who heard it. We're going to follow that up with listening to and talking about a spiritual, "Go Down Moses". I am oddly excited about it. And oddly excited about getting back into the classroom. I didn't really miss my students per say, but I will be glad to see them again.

Here's a quote that I dig from a book I'm reading called A Circle of Quiet by Madeleine L'Engle, "'But,' I found myself saying, you will find that you cannot help teaching children your own religion, whatever it is. If you are an atheist, that will be clear to them, even if you think you're teaching nothing but social studies. If a belief in God motivates your life, the children are going to know that, too, whether you ever mention God or not. If you are more interested in money than anything else, that's not going to escape them. You've got to accept the fact that you are basically not teach a subject, you are teaching children. Subjects can probably be better taught by machines than by you. But if we teach our children only by machines, what will we get? Little machines. They need you, as persons.' And I quoted Emerson: 'What you are speaks so loudly over your head that I cannot hear what you say.'"




currently listening to: my tea pot and Ingrid Michaelson

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Dear Jesus,
I would like to teach children one day very soon. Any subject. Even math. I'll be fine. I'll push through. I want to indirectly teach them about my God. Thanks! Oh, and please don't take forever to respond. Mmk.
Manda Bean

:) Love the quote.