Monday, January 11, 2010

Chief Joseph

Today we read "I will Fight No More Forever," a speech given by Chief Joseph as he surrendered to General Miles in 1877. I was explaining the background of the speech for my students when I noticed that one of my students (Joseph) looked upset. I asked him what was the matter, and he informed me that A. was calling him "Chief Jospeh" and he didn't like it. I had to turn around and face the board because all I could do was laugh, and then of course I told A. not to call J. anything that he didn't want to be called. I really think some days that the maturnity level of my students is the same as any 1st grader.

---

Also, a week later, I am without power still. Oh man.

But on a super positive note: I have been nominated Rookie Teacher of the Year in Guilford County! I am really excited because if I were to be nominated, I would get graduate school paid for and that would be such a blessing. For now, I am just happy for the encouragement, and the support of my administration who nominated me. (That was a rough draft of my acceptance speech. Juuust kidding!)

2 comments:

David Payne said...

Also, "maturnity" is a strange word. Is that a combination of "maturity" and "maternity?" Haha. I hope you do get that award. Grad school for free would rock!

Anonymous said...

WAAAAA! So cool, good luck!

See you soon :)