Sunday, September 7, 2008

Lessons in loneliness

Loneliness is something that I've been thinking about lately, especially as I've been getting to know the Freshmen. I really love Freshmen. They are so willing to get to know people because they have to be and how willing they are to try things. They are so isolated when they first come to school. I am so excited to get to know them better and to watch them grow and to see their ideas about what they want to be and how they want to be be reshaped and revamped. It's good for me to be reminded of where they are and how lonely they feel.

I was also talking to some girls this weekend about how we're afraid of living alone when we grow up, how we feel like we could do anything if we knew we'd have a buddy. When I stayed in Dayna's house in Glenwood this summer, if I felt uneasy and went into the house, there was nobody to tell me it would be okay or to keep me safe.

I have such a precious community of believers around me now. I have no idea what will happen come the spring semester when I am no longer on leadership and no longer on campus or when I graduate, come May. And I am reading through Joshua and God tell Joshua over and over to be strong and courageous. [Joshua 1:9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go.] I hope that I grow in my dependence on God this year. I know that it won't change loneliness into something that's fun or enjoyable, but it will perhaps turn it into something more bearable, more of a friend even. Who knows what will come after graduation, but for now Nicole and I plan on living in Glenwood and that is something that will bring a different kind of loneliness altogether but we will have each other and lots of papers to grade.

[Tune in next time for Emily's startling revelations about her summer.]




(Senior girls on leadership. <3)



(Tooth brushing club. <3)

1 comment:

MarySuz said...

i miss leadership retreat.

sad