Monday, September 8, 2008

bitterness of summer?

I hadn't realized how I felt about my summer until David Mallard, our IV staff worker, asked us talk about our summers. I sat there listening to everyone's summer, with the exception of a few and I was like, man I wish I could have done that. I started to feel kind of bitter as I listened. I did what I needed to do this summer, work and take classes and I enjoyed my summer. I barely even got to go home to see my family, and that was my "last summer at home". When I was home one weekend, I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen since high school and she asked me if I'd been to Africa yet. I'd tried to go to Africa this summer. I've tried to go before. It was just really hard to listen to so many people talk about the mission trips they took over the summer. I sat there and was like, "Did I even participate in ministry of any sort?" And I did. I prayed with people in my church for the Arlington neighborhood. I tried to call Taylor and Lesli, but I never got hold of them. I just feel like my summer was fruitless. I know that that's not true. I accomplished and learned a lot.

God redeems time. He also is a God of purpose. I know that my summer happened on purpose. I did what I needed to do to go to school and to graduate on time. He knew that I would need to do that when He shut the door to Kenya. I loved taking classes, I loved reading and spending time in Greensboro. It was good, it just wouldn't have been what I wished for. Imagine that.




currently reading: Inside Out: Strategies for Teaching Writing
currently listening to: The Avett Brothers
real time: 11:20

No comments: