Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I think I will just sleep in the gym.

Yesterday Dr. Cooper assigned us our internships, where we will not only intern this semester but where we will student teach in the spring. I was assigned to Northern High School, and I was really disappointed at first. Well, I still sort of am, but I've gained more perspective. Northern High is way out in the middle of nowhere. Not only that, the only houses around the school worth more money than I'll ever make in a year. I'm not really sure where the teachers, or the normal people live. Not only that but I will be driving out there 4 times a week and it's 30 minutes away. Next semester, I will be out there everyday, but at least I'll be staying for the entire day. Really though. I'm worried that I will love it there. And I'm worried that I'll hate it. All at once. It's a brand new school, everything's so nice. The principal is very enterprising and wants to have one of the top high schools in the nation and I like that. I like goals and actually accomplishing them. They have different schedules and different classroom policies and it all sounds very nice. On the other hand, I really just want to be at Dudley or Smith. Those are kids that are much more of a challenge to teach, but just they're still kids. There is only a very small population of kids at Northern that have free or reduced lunch, a very small minority population. And they do this weird team teaching thing that freaks me out.

When Dr. Cooper first said that she thought she'd send me there, I emailed her and asked her to not put me there. She put me there. I assume she has more wisdom than me. Mom said that God had me there for a reason. I think that's true. I think that I need to learn that privileged kids are just as precious as non-privileged. God loves them all as dearly. I struggle with that, but it's funny because I AM a privileged kid. Why do I struggle with loving kids just like me?

I don't know the answer to that yet, but I expect that God has many lessons out there for me. Oh, that I have a willing heart.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I hear you on the needing to learn to love the rich and privileged, those just like me.
Why is that so hard??