Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Time passes really quickly

Today I had a headache when I went to campus so I went in and got a cup of coffee from Trudy. Trudy is the barista who always works at the campus coffee shop. She's really sweet. We chatted a bit, and then I went to sit down in the hall way in our student union, also known as the EUC. I was sitting and drinking my mocha. Normally I just get a cup of coffee but today I got a mocha and it was wonderful. They've been doing Freshmen orientation and a session let out releasing future UNCG students. I got really excited thinking about it. I love Freshmen a lot. They're really fun. Anyways, one of the leaders asked if the kids had any questions and one of the Freshmen said, "How long is this going to take" and I burst out laughing. I couldn't help it.

I left the EUC to go to class and there was this couple standing at the campus map at the end of college avenue and so I decided to ask them if they needed help finding something. They did. I gave them directions to McIver. And then I began to think about the first time I gave directions to someone as a Freshman. How exciting that was.

It's funny because I think that I have it so much more together than Freshman, baby Emily, but I don't know that I do. I like to think that I have matured and I think that I actually have. When I was younger, I had this idea that by the time I would know what I was doing. I thought that Senior year of high school was crazy because I was trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life. The same is true of college. You're still trying to figure things out. And that's okay. Something tells me that that might never change. It causes us to trust Jesus.

And now for a Henri Nouwen quote (I do love him dearly.): For us to work for justice and peace and really be activists in the good sense of the word is to do it not because we need to prove to ourselves or anybody that we are worth loving. Rather, it is because we are so in touch with our belovedness that we are free to act according to the truth and say no to injustice and say yes when we see justice and peace.


real time: 9:49 PM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog. It's very interesting.