Tuesday, July 8, 2008

I have blisters on both of my heels.

I went to meet with Dr. Reynolds today and while I was waiting a lady popped out of her office and gave me "The Pocket Wadsworth Handbook". Can I tell you just how random this was, and how very excited I am? This book would have cost me 14.50 if I'da bought it and it's contents include: writing essays and paragraphs, writing grammatical sentences, writing effective sentences, understanding punctuation, understanding punctuation, understanding spelling and mechanics, writing with sources, documenting sources, developing strategies for academic success, and resources for bilingual and ESL writers. In essence, this book is an English teacher's dream. I was literally just thinking that I needed to get a really good grammar book because I haven't been taught grammar since I was in middle school and I will be expected to teach it, and this woman walked up and gave me this book. It's even the correct edition! Thank you, Jesus.

So then in my meeting, Dr. Reynolds told me that she would sign my application to the school of ed and write pending so that once my GPA goes up .1 after the fall semester, I will be admitted and ready to student teach in the spring. Thank you, Jesus again.

I am very sleepy right about now. Maybe I'll go to bed by 10. I say that every night and it never happens. I have to study for my A+! Last night I was being mocked for my studiousness and my uncanny ability to study every Friday night of my life. I'm okay with that. (:

Last night was good. Laura Jo and David came over to hang out with Katie and I. We hung out for like...6 hours. Fellowship is so good and necessary. We just talked for hours. Here's something that we talked about that I've thought about a lot before: Is a Christian's worth based on their role in ministry?

Definetly no. But it seems that many of my friends who are not specifically called to "ministry" feel jilted by the rest of the church, and feel like they are viewed as though they are worth less than others in the Kingdom of God. I find this to be particularly heart breaking and completly untrue to the heart of God. Where does our value come from? From the fact that I am made in the image of God, and from the fact that God declares me to be precious. I think we all know that there's nothing that we can do to make God love us more or less, so where does this un-Christ-like, elitist mentality come from? I am quite positive that sometimes I am overly proud of the things I do, and I am sure that everyone falls into that. I think that we forget that our friends in the corporate world will have opportunities to reach people for Christ that a pastor, a missionary, a staff worker never could. And where does that leave someone who is unable to "serve" in the way that we deem appropriate. We each have different callings. We are each different members of the body. If everyone served or lived in the same way, nothing would be accomplished. Let us not puff up in the calling that we have, but instead let's build each other up in the rememberance that we are all working toward seeing Christ's kingdom come here on earth, that we will all be together in Heaven forever and that we will be held accountable for whenever we respond without love or in pride.



currently listening to: Coldplay's Violet Hill to be followed up by Badly Drawn Boy's Journey from A to B
real time: 6:40 PM
currently reading: Three Musketeers (still) and Religions of the World
activities to follow blogging: going on a mission with Laura Jo, pie making, coffee making and studying. oh, and I'd like to drink some water. I'm thirsty.

1 comment:

Truthfully Thinking said...

Well I am not sure what that means as far as your academic progression......