Friday, July 18, 2008

Places to go.

Anyone who knows me, knows that I love to make lists. I have made a list of the places in Greensboro that I would like to visit. I included places that I have already been so that I can make sure I am "well rounded". And in case I want to go back, it's there for the remembering.

Weatherspoon Art Museum [check.]
Elsewhere [check.]
Grasshoppers game [check.]
Greensboro Arboretum [check.]
Greensboro Bicentennial Garden [check.]
N.C. Zoo [check.]
Greensboro Historical Museum
Greensboro Children's Museum
Guilford Courthouse National Military Park
Greensboro Symphony
Greensboro Opera Company
Triad Stage
Blandwood Mansion
Mendenhall Plantation
Natural Science Center
Tannenbaum Historic Park
Walking tour of downtown Greensboro with headphones
Bog Garden


That's all for now. I think that could keep me busy for a while.
---

Today I went to the Weatherspoon Art Museum. I loved it. I'd been there once before but that was for class and I had to go, plus they change up the art work, so I had to go check it out. My favorite piece that I saw was quite possibly an untitled piece by Jonathan Herder. It was made out of postage stamps, in essence a stamp collage. I seriously stood there forever just looking at it. I was in awe.


[This wasn't the one, but this is an example. You can't really see it like you could in person.]

The exhibit upstairs was called TRANSactions and it was contemporary Latino and Latin American art. There was this one photograph and it was absolutely stunning. It was this woman at the beauty parlor (for lack of a better word; I feel stupid saying "beauty parlor") and she was having her hair washed. It was just so well shot. There was dye on the towel that she had on her lap and you could see her wedding ring on her hand and her facial expresion. Again, I just stood there for what seemed ages. There was also a photo shot in Uganda in one of the refugee camps and it was of this girl who'd just found out that her parents had been killed and the photographer was rushing to take this photo and it didn't come out clear but it looked like an impressionist painting and it was amazing.

My favorite gallery was one of photographs by Dawoud Bey. He took portraits of high school kids and next to the kids was a short biography that they'd written about themselves. I will be the first one to admit that I cry easily but some of these photos with the bios had me tearing up. It was kinda crazy. These kids talked about their struggles and their dreams and who they were and who they wanted to be, who they wanted to be like, who they didn't want to be like. They were beautiful. I loved it.

And that my friends is my assessment of the Weatherspoon Art Museum. But know that they do not like you to take in water, so if you bike there, expect to die of thirst.

2 comments:

Leah said...

can i come to the natural science museum with you?

Truthfully Thinking said...

You forgot to list 12721 Ghoston Rd. Its an amazing place - Heck I live there !!