Sunday, June 21, 2009

What if Everyone Mattered?

Today at church the sermon series was started called "What if everyone mattered?" Before the sermon began, they showed a video. It asked questions like, what if the homeless mattered? What if teen mothers mattered? What if the addicts and criminals mattered? What if sick mattered? What if the unborn mattered?

I loved this. I love that I am being reminded of the lessons I learned in Greensboro. Lessons that all are of value because all people are made in the image of God.

Jason, the middle school/high school pastor talked about that story in Luke 17 where Jesus heals the 10 lepers. He talked about how when Jesus saw those men he saw "image bearers." He talked about how when God made Adam and Eve, he breathed life into them. How precious people are to God! We are loved, and cherished by our heavenly Father!

How sad it is when we begin to think that we are the only ones! We look down at the poor or the sick or the criminals. We forget that they too are just as beloved are, just as sought by the Father as we are.

Greg, my pastor in Greensboro, talks about how we are to be like medics. How when everyone else is running away in the thick of a battle, fending for their lives, we are to be rushing into the fray, because we have the power to heal. We have life and we are rushing to extend it to others. He talks about how C.S. Lewis says we are just a beggar showing another beggar where to find bread. Greg says we are to be mobile gardens, moving into a desert where there is no life.

Jason said today that we should be relentlessly pursuing people with the love of Christ.

Oh Father, I pray that I will see people through your eyes and remember that they are your creation. Help me to love like you do. Not just easy people, or beautiful people, or people like me. Help me to deeply love everyone that I come into contact. Break my heart with the things that break yours.


currently listening to: The Fray, Heartless. It's About Time, Barcelona.

PS. I now dislike the way my blog is formatted, but I lack the skills to fix it. A little help?

No comments: