Thursday, June 4, 2009

Follow up: A Grief Observed, part two.

I responded to CS Lewis in my last post, saying that it's easy to forget that God is good because life often tells us otherwise. I have now finished the book and I have another quote which I would like to put here because I think it's pertinent to what I wrote about last time.

But suppose that what you are up against is a surgeon whose intentions are wholly good. The kinder and more conscientious he is, the more inexorably he will go on cutting. If he yielded to your entreaties, if he stopped before the operation was complete, all the pain up to that point would be useless...The tortures occur. If they are un-necessary, then there is no God, or a bad one. If there is a good God then these tortures are necessary. - Lewis

Oh, and one more, which may or may not be related, just depending upon how your brain works...

Can a mortal ask questions that God find unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All non-sense questions are unanswerable. - Lewis

That one made me laugh. Okay, enough for now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I do love C.S. Lewis.