Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Sharpening pencils as unto the Lord

I was sharpening a million pencils at camp last night so the kids could do their lessons. And I began to think about "Colossians 3:23 Whatever your work is, do it gladly. Do it as you would do it unto the Lord and not for people." It made me laugh a little, but I think that that is exactly what it's talking about. No mater what you're doing, even if it's seemingly small, brainless,and meaningless, do it like you would do it for Jesus. Make sure those pencils are not just having lead, but having sharp lead.

3 comments:

Megan said...

I love that we can include God and glorify Him in the tiny little parts of our day. It makes every moment significant!

As for myself, I am about to go make salsa as unto the Lord. I hope He likes Mexican! And I hope that's not sacrilegious!

grace said...

emmm....thanks so much for your encouragement! love you dear one! xx

Lydia Christie said...

This verse… this chapter, really… has been on my heart for several months now.
I love that you thought about it during a seemingly small task. It gives such tasks so much purpose. Recently, though, have been thinking about it in another way… The translation that I have been reading from (Holman Christian Standard Bible) actually says: “Whatever you do, do it enthusiastically, as something done for the Lord and not for men.” I love that! I’m still trying to wrap my head completely around it… but I love it! It makes me want to encourage you today, Emily, to do what you’re doing right now, whatever it is (I know much of it is job hunting) FOR the Lord… not for men... not even for yourself. Does that make sense? Look for a job with gladness in your heart, with excitement about where you are… God has you where you are for a reason. Has He ever failed you? Confused you, sure. (haha… Goodness, He surely confuses me.) But has he failed you? Remember that it's all about Him.
I love you dear sister in Christ. Please let me know when/if you’re going to be in or near Greensboro for a visit or what not. I would love to get together with you.