Monday, December 14, 2009

Answered Prayers

About a week ago, my princiPAL told me to see him before I left for the day. That is always freaky to me, and as I was going to see him, I met him in the hall and we went to my classroom so he could talk to me. He proceeded to tell me that he had a full time position to offer me because one of the other teachers was accepting another position elsewhere. I was super siked, but then my princiPAL told me that they were going to give me all the classes of this other teacher, and they were going to hire another part time teacher to take my classes. This was the most bittersweet piece of news ever. I shut my classroom door and cried because I was so disappointed that they were going to take my students away and give them to someone else. We had all worked so hard together, and it had only been two months that they'd been with me and I felt like everything had finally settled into a routine.

So all this was in the works, and I decided that I would email my princiPAL and respectfully ask that we find a way around someone else taking my students. Part of the problem was that Ms. H (the leaving teacher)taught first period and then had a planning period, so we couldn't just swap classes.

On Thursday in the beginning of class, E asked me if I was going to take over Ms. H's classes, and I told him yes. His question was then, "What's going to happen to us?" Everyone in the classroom was suddenly listening and I hadn't planned on saying anything until I knew what happened. It was a RIOT; they were so upset. They told me that they had come to my class cause they knew that I was a good teacher. I told them that that was crazy and that for all they knew, I was crazy. But they argued that they knew that I was good, and that they wanted to stay with me. I told them that I was just as upset as they were, that I had even cried about it and A asked me if they were tears of joy. They bombarded me with arguments and questions, of which I had no answers. E apologized for bringing it up.

Friday they asked me if they had fixed it, but the prinicPAL was out for the day so I couldn't even talk to him.

That brings us to today, when I ended up having a conference with the princiPAL and one of the vice pricipALS. I felt so intimidated, but they invited me to pull up a chair and Mr. A (PrinciPAL) said he assumed that I had a solution. I told him that I did and suggested that the part time teacher be given Ms. H's first period and third periods, with second as a planning period, that way I could continue teaching my first and second periods with planning during third period. I told them that I was concerned that my students would have had 3 teachers during the school year. Mr. A said he liked my plan and that he was glad they hired me because he knew that I had worked hard with my current students and he appreciated that I was thinking about the kids.

I went back into my classroom and did what some people might call a dance. I was so excited.

Today I am praising Jesus for a full time job, and for his allowing me to continue teaching my precious kids. He didn't have to provide either of these things for me, but he did and I am so overwhelmed by his goodness.

4 comments:

chadcurrin said...

i'm so glad it worked out for you!

grace said...

amen. :)

Nathan said...

EMILY this is so great!!!! congrats!!!!

Megan said...

YES YES YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I got your message and wanted to call you, but I got off of work AFTER you were asleep. bahahagrandma.