Friday, April 29, 2011

The Highlight of My Day

My first period might be my favorite class. It's a class full of kid's whose focus isn't usually on school. Half the time they don't get to class until 15 minutes unto the period...So I work with the few I have until the rest come. It's a regular class, so with it comes the struggle to motivate them. But I love them so much because for some reason we get along and they usually cooperate with me so that I can help them get to where I need them to be. We've been reading Night lately, and the kids in first period are mesmerized.

I have one boy I've been working with to get to school on time. He has a really hard time, but this morning he burst in about five minutes late and exclaimed, "Ms. J! You haven't started reading yet have you?! I can't stop thinking about this book so I hurried to get here!"

I can't tell you what that did for my heart.

Thank you Elie Wiesel for sharing your experiences in a way that my students can connect to them.

I would also like to take this moment to brag on J for finally learning to write his name in cursive. (I taught him that!)

2 comments:

Leah said...

What a perfect segue-way to teaching them about North Korea... it's not the same, but Night gives a glimpse/makes reference to what many North Koreans face in political prison camps today. Wiesel has actually helped write several reports about North Korea. You can use some videos from LiNK's website if you want!

Truthfully Thinking said...

I always thought I was .....