Friday, July 23, 2010

There's a quote that I remember reading a long time ago that God brings to my mind ever so often. I don't know who said it, but in a moment of God breathed wisdom they said "We trust you with our souls, let us also trust you with our lives."

I like that prayer so much that I wrote it in my Bible. We are so willing to turn our souls over to God if it means we are spared from the fires of Hell, but we aren't willing to live our lives in a manner that is pleasing to God, in the manner of picking up our Cross daily. I confess that I really do have a hard time trusting God with my life and over the course of this week I became a bit convicted of that as Emily and I looked for a new apartment. I have trouble trusting that God is the God of the universe. Of course I know that in my brain, but in my heart it hasn't quite sunk in. A little band called Anberlin has a song in which they sing, "The more I live the more I see that this life's not about me." Of course, I want everything to be about me. I am radically sinful and self-absorbed and I want God to drop everything in the universe for me so when He doesn't it hurts a little. I wish that I could have a heart of praise. Being made into the image of Christ is a hard, painful process, but a necessary one in order to point all glory and power and praise to Him who died who for me.

Praise God that my life in the flesh has been crucified so I can live by faith. (Gal 2)

No comments: