Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Just another reason I'm excited about small group.

So I go to church, not because of any legalistic or moralistic reasons, but because I am a hungry sheep who needs to be fed; and for the same reason that I wear a wedding ring: a public witness of a private commitment. - Madeleine L'Engle

I read that yesterday and it really resounded with me. So often we're paralyzed with terror to admit that we are weak. I am such a messed up person and the beauty of that is that it's no secret. Reason? Because so is everyone else, and God who is the only perfect being knows it too. That is so freeing. So let's meet as the body of Christ, bringing our messes and our weaknesses together because when we are vulnerable all together, God is able to show up too in a way that he can't when we reject his corporate body.

In my small group, we discuss the sermons as a way of growing together and we never seem to reach conclusions for the life we questions we have. I'm okay with that. The wrestling together makes it okay for me to not have an answer.

May the Church spur one another on to passionate, radical living instead of the partially interested, half there response that seems to be the norm.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Amen to that. I'm very thankful to have a group of people that I can unleash my thoughts on. In a sea of doubt and confusion, the one constant is "I don't know." I think it's easier to be okay with that when we know we're not alone.

Thanks for listening and bringing your perspective to the (Panera) table.

Truthfully Thinking said...

Take your sissy?