Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Blessed with a Burden?

It seems that God gives his people burdens. He weighs their hearts down for the things that weigh his down. In Freedom Writers, Erin Gruwell's father tells her that she is "blessed with a burden." While the burdens God has given us often feel less than blessed, these are opportunities for us understand just a glimpse of how he feels for his hurting world. I graduated in May and then for what seemed like ages, I applied and interviewed for teaching jobs. At the end of September I was offered a part time teaching position here in Greensboro. I was hesitant at first to accept it, but I was excited that someone at last shared confidence with me in my desire to be a teacher.

And here we are: eight months and 118 children later. Over and over, God's call to me has been to keep my hands open. As I've prayed to love them well, he has reminded me that they are not mine to keep. I was responsible for them for this small time, and now I am passing the baton. I can't say all that I've been taught, all the ways I've been stretched and challenged. I am so blessed to have had this year. A lot of people can't say that when they wake up in the morning they are thirsty for more. While I can't say that every day was enjoyable and perfect, I find myself still wanting more and missing my kids already. Here they are. Maybe you'll understand why:




 
First period, minus Kanika.

 
Second period

 
Sixth period, missing about 5 people.

 
Posted by Picasa

Fifth period, missing about 500 people...

 
Posted by Picasa

Fourth period minus Tyreik, Madison and Nigel

PS. It is hilarious how small I look.

1 comment:

MarySuz said...

EM! Thanks for posting this, especially the pics. SO proud of you and the difference you're making in the lives of these kids. You're amazing.