Sunday, November 8, 2009

Spiritual Giftings, or "Take The Party With You"

Today Greg began a sermon series on spiritual gifts. I am rather excited to hear what he has to say, and wish I could just skip from Sunday to Sunday so I can go ahead and soak it all in. But then I guess I would miss some valuable time with my sweet, and not so sweet students.

Prior to this week, Greg had talked about the prodigal son, how we are welcomed into the Father's house, how we are welcomed into the party that takes place at the end of the story. This week he talked about the answer to the question of now that we have been to the party, and the Father has lavished his love upon us, what are we to do next?

In the Lord's Prayer, Jesus prays that his Father's kingdom will come. We are to be a part of that coming. We can do this by using the spiritual gifts that God has given us.

So often we view our giftings as nothing special, but in reality, they are specifically given to us in all the wisdom and foresight that our Heavenly Father possesses. We are part of the body, each part equally vital to what God is doing here.

A verse that Greg mentioned in his sermon was 2 Corinthians 3:18, which speaks to the people God has made us to be, saying,"But we all with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord." I had been meditating on this verse earlier this week and here are a list of questions I came up based on it.

- What does my unveiled face look like?
- Do we see, as in a mirror, God's glory reflected in our unveiled faces?
- What does it mean to go from glory to glory? Do we do that here on earth?
- Why do we have to wait until heaven to be ourselves as we truly should be?

Some of these, I believe are answerable.

I pray that God will free you and me up to live with unveiled faces, to be mighty men and women of valor, using the gifts He has given us to serve all we encounter.



currently listening to: Further Seems Forever, New Year's Project, Just Until Sundown

1 comment:

Amanda said...

What are the spiritual gifts he will be talking about, just out of curiosity?