Sunday, November 29, 2009

Sometimes You've Just Gotta Get the Bitter Out.

I do not understand why boys make a plan with you, pick you up wearing khakis, buy your drink and insist on it not being a date. How, for the love Buddha, is a lady supposed to tell if it's a date or not? Please don't pay for my stuff if you don't want to date me. While I appreciate the sentiment, only my Dad can pay for my stuff without me being confused.

I also do not understand what boys are looking for in a girlfriend. A girl could have all the character in the world, but apparently this would not be enough. She must also not be your friend, not have any strange tendencies, or show you kindness in any form, or else she is not dating material. This doesn't even make sense, and I can't begin to pretend to dissect this.

Lastly, I would like to hear by declare to the world, that I personally will never declare my feelings for a boy until he man up, grows some cajones, and tells me his thoughts. Boys seem to be not capable of communicating and taking steps of leadership. This does not include your telling me that you never want to date me, and don't think you should be dating anyone but you'd like to know what I think about dating you (seriously?). I would also like to say that I will not be opening up to boys with deep personal thoughts about them or otherwise if the before mentioned "gentleman" has not previously declared his hope for my well-being and his desire to date me and to therefore know me better. It is neither wise nor profitable for me to do so.

I apologize for these words of frustration, but I am so tired of the lack of true concern for my well-being and the well-being of my "sisters".

I am certain that there are plenty of boys out there who could name similar frustrations against girls but I had to release this. I would also like to say that this post was not stemmed from frustration at one boy, but rather a collection of those that have contributed to my jaded guardedness over the years.

And now, sleep for me and the cat, who has put herself to bed.


currently listening to: a fine frenzy

5 comments:

Megan said...

amen amen amen amen amen amen.

grace said...

AMEN. totally with you. thanks for voicing that, ems. you're awesome. some boy's gonna be SERIOUSLY blessed. :)

Kristi said...

preach it, sista!

David Payne said...

In defense of the males reading this, part of the problem may in fact be that girls do exactly what you have now vowed not to: declare their interest before the guy has. That is a big turn off for a lot of guys. And how do you expect a man to "man up" and tell you he is interested if you (girls in general, not anyone specific) make the choice to say something first. That means you are assuming he feels something too when he has not declared said feelings. Just a thought from a boy who sometimes gets frustrated at the frustration.

I do feel you have valid reasons to be frustrated though. Too many men have never been taught what it means to lead or pursue a woman well.

Emerly Sue said...

David Payne,

Thank you for your perspective. And you continue to be my favorite friend to sit and read in bitterness with. (: