Monday, November 30, 2009

All in a day.

I had quite a bit of trouble falling asleep and I was so groggy this morning. Even though I had laid my clothes out the day before, I was really slow in getting out the door. I had hoped to have time to get a cup of coffee, but I as too slow. As I reached into my pen-stained, Spartan colors "teacher" bag to get my keys and unlock the door to my classroom, I was surprised at the giddiness I felt. I was glad to be excited to walk back into my very own classroom, and teach my own kids again. Today I taught scanning, which can be difficult, but the kids really caught on, and I feel that the day was a success. Students generally like scanning because it's not anything they've learned before and it's a little more hands on, which is always good.

It has quickly become my pet peeve that students walk into first period late and start talking, or eating, or anything else distracting, after I've already begun class. irritatingly enough, it's the same students and no matter the consequence, they are just slow in getting to school. Today one of my students walked in half way through class with a McDonald's bag. Of course this was a distraction as J commented, "I want McDonalds." I grouchily replied, "I want coffee." to which my tardy student responded, "Why don't I give you my number so you can text me to bring you some." I laughed. If only. First period we also had a fire drill. My entire first period would have died because there wasn't a fire plan by the door and when we tried to get out, we ended up in a dead end and had to go back through the building to get out. I felt really stupid, but I really didn't know where to go! Good thing we have drills. Next time, we will survive.

Now I need to go plan to teach Self-Reliance by Emerson. I've gotta think of a way to make it interactive and as enjoyable as I think it to be.


currently listening to: sarah jaffe, even born again
currently reading: self-reliance [Emerson], a circle of quiet [L'Engle]

1 comment:

Rachel and Matt said...

it's a joy to me that you really love teaching. thanks for being there for them. i need a little more routine in my life ;) maybe i'll learn from you!