Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I am sitting in an empty room. Today would be something of what we might call a success. Today my teacher was gone all day. Of course, we had a sub but I did it all day, by myself. And my kids were great. Granted, one did get kicked out due to stupidity, but kids that I thought would go crazy were superstars for me today. I love the relationships that I have been able to build with my students over the past year. God blessed me so greatly with the students I had in my classroom. I have learned so much about praying for my students this semester. And I have had my heart broken and broken for them. When I look at my kids, I see such potential and such greatness. Some kids haven't tapped into that yet, and some kids never will, but I hope that somehow I can love them to their potential. I am not a savior, but I do have the precious opportunity to show a Savior daily who desperately loves these children. So many of them have been labled as "bad kids" or "beyond hope" or "no longer worth effort". It is my sincerest prayer to always be an enabler of my students. It is my sincerest prayer that my classroom will be one of safety and of peace. It is my sincerest prayer that my students learn not only to be better readers and writers and thinkers, but that they learn that they are valuable people.

And now that I am so in love with teaching, I am afraid that I won't even get a job. And I am also afraid that I won't have a group of students nearly so delightful.

[disclaimer: Just because my students are "delightful" does not mean that I don't have kids that aren't difficult.]


currently listening to (and loving): silence
currently wearing: my bright blue shoes that match my bright blue shirt and my red sweater. (i am wearing pants.)
currently feeling: cold, silly AC

No comments: