Monday, August 24, 2009

Purposeful Character

Yesterday I skipped church like a heathen. It's not normally something that I'd do. ever. Since I didn't go, I listened to a podcast of Tim Keller. He was talking about purpose in a way I'd never thought of before.

We like to think that God has made us for a purpose. We like to think that it's glorious and grand. Or at least I do. Tim Keller talked about how in Bible times a man became whatever his father was. Women became wives. They didn't sit around wondering what they were supposed to do. What he was saying was that God's purpose is for us to become people of character.

Tim Keller gave examples of how our Bible heroes really had no control over the situations in their lives, but God gave them opportunities to display character. Joseph, Moses, David. They didn't do anything, God just put them where they could be of the most use to him because they had willing hearts.

We see over and over that God has complete control of what is happening. Sometimes I forget that. And the part that I can control is how I react to the situations I am in.



currently listening to: The Hush Sound

3 comments:

grace said...

i.love.keller.
and you. i'm getting so much encouragement from your writing at the moment, you have no idea! :)

MarySuz said...

thanks for this emily, it spoke to my heart.

Kristi said...

do you know the name of it/where to get it, 'cause that sounds like some Keller i need!