Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Excerpt from "How to Write a Personal Letter", by Garrison Keillor

We shy persons need to write a letter now and then, or else we'll dry up and blow away... We need to write; otherwise nobody will know who we are. They will have only a vague impression of us as A Nice Person, because, frankly, we don't shine at conversation, we lack the confidence to thrust our faces forward and say, "Hi, I'm Heather Hooten; let me tell you about my week." Mostly we say "Uh-huh" and "Oh really." People smile and look over our shoulder, looking for someone else to meet.

So a shy person sits down and writes a letter. To be known by another person- to meet and talk freely on the page- to be close despite distance. To escape anonymity and be our own sweet selves and express the music of our souls.

Same thing that moves a giant rock star to sing his heart out in front of 123,000 people moves us to take ballpoint in hand and write a few lines to our dear Aunt Eleanor. We want to be known. We want her to know that we have fallen in love, that we quit our job, that we're moving to New York, and we want to say a few things that might not get said in casual conversation: Thank you for what you've meant to me. I am very happy right now.


I think that Garrison expresses why I love writing letters so much rather nicely.

3 comments:

McKinney said...

so, so true.

that was a good one.

McKinney said...

don't feel bad.

i hate you too.

:D

Megan said...

Oh my gosh. This is exactly completely true!!!!