Thursday, March 17, 2011

Today one of my students told me that ever since her mother told her that her brother was smarter than her, she hasn't tried in school. As I drove home from school, my heart was so overwhelmed with sorrow for this girl. She'd come to get a recommendation from me for a magnet school. As she waited for me to finish my letter, she told me that her mom told her that she'd have to be the Michelangelo of Sophomores to get in, and since she wasn't she wouldn't get in. What a bright, talented young lady her mother is shutting down.

Oh, the power of words.

2 comments:

Truthfully Thinking said...

yea and how would mom know? what does smart mean? IQ is not smart. I work with plenty of PhD guys I dont think are smart...... too much said

Lydia Christie said...

This story hurts my heart...
I'm glad you are in this young lady's life, Emily. You are someone who will believe in her, will be a positive, inspiring, uplifting leader for her, will love her, will be excited for her, and will be proud of her.
Though I have never "seen" you teach, I know you are a gifted teacher, and a gift of a teacher, Emily Jackson.