Thursday, December 30, 2010

Pardon my Conservatism

Last week I went to the International Civil Rights Museum. It was hard to walk through, but they're educating people and sometimes that means that you have to share some ugly moments. There was one section of the tour that upset me in a different way. I decided that I would write a letter to the museum to let them know how I felt.

Here it is:

Good afternoon,

Let me first begin by saying that I am so delighted that your museum is open. For years I have been mesmerized by the courage of the "Greensboro 4" and others like them. I am glad that you uphold your institution as a place of peace, where all people can come and learn and be challenged to fight to make the world a better place. That is why I was taken aback by a comment that one of the guides made while on the tour. When we got to the section of the tour that was about how influential media was in the fight for civil rights, the guide said, "There was no Fox News clouding things up." Of course this was received as a joke by most of the guests, but I personally found it disconcerting. If you are to claim that the International Civil Rights Museum is a place of peace for ALL people then there is no place for polarizing statements such as that to be made. It is a blessing that we live in a country where all points of view can be heard, whether or not we agree with them. As Gandhi once said, “Intolerance betrays want of faith in one’s cause.” Let us be tolerant of all or what we claim to uphold seems false.

Thank you for hearing my thoughts.

Sincerely,

3 comments:

Josh said...

Interesting stuff there! For one, I wasn't very impressed with the "International" aspect of the museum, as it had little to do with anything beyond the Black Civil Rights movement.

Anywho, you're right that it isn't their place to say that. They should be impartial, and not marginalize anyone. I doubt they have much basis for their viewpoint anyway.

With that said, the major news outlets in America are pretty much garbage. The guide could have made a more general statement.

Emerly Sue said...

I was also disappointed with the international aspects. They were, more or less, an after thought.

Truthfully Thinking said...

Good job Emmy, but its not about truth anymore..... polarization is just used to try to get power and influence. Funny thing is, more people watch Fox News than all others news outlets combined. Some are from Venus, others Mars. I think Earth can be better than both. Martians a re Martians..