Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Catch 22

I have always loved school. I have always loved learning. Lately I have been so discouraged by kids' lack of desire to grow mentally that I have simply given them work and required that they turn it in at the end of the period. What a joke! I can't decide if I would rather my classes be a joke or if I would rather pour my heart and soul into my lessons only to find that the kids still don't care at all. It seems like a waste of time if it doesn't matter to the kids. I can slide by with busy work. It doesn't break my heart when they don't care about busy work. I didn't put my soul into creating it. I didn't give up any time to make it. Last year I had so much fun teaching my eleventh graders. We did a lot of fun activities and I learned just as much as they did. I would dream of the lessons that I could teach. This year I only dream of working at Macy's because folding shirts is painless and achievable. The catch is though, I love to teach. I love to develop lessons. In the wake of ease, my heart is breaking in a different way. I feel as though in one way or another, I will be unsatified and disapointed. In the end, I think I'd rather feel satisfied with myself. If the kids still choose not to learn, than I can't take responsibility for that. I can take responsibility for the quality of the education that I am offering them.

1 comment:

Josh said...

I made English class a pain for most of my teachers, mainly because I thought I could gain the approval of my apathetic classmates. Despite being obnoxious on the exterior, I was able to take a lot in. I still remember which of my teachers actually cared, and I will always be grateful for their efforts. Your work is not in vain, and though some will be very stubborn there will always be some who benefit greatly from you.

Oh and forgive them, for they know not what they do. Because they're teenagers. I know it gets old hearing that.