Friday, February 20, 2009

T said that I looked 16, and other antedotes about teaching.

Today when I was giving the Strategic Readers their quiz, L asked me if "illustrate your point by using evidence in the text" meant that they were supposed to draw a picture. It took all that was in my body not to laugh, and laugh, and laugh. I thought I might have to go out into the hall. But I got a grip. Also in the same class, Ca told me he needed a pencil and I told him he needed to give me collateral and he said he didn't have any. I told him I'd trade his phone for a pencil and he said, "How'd you know I had a phone? Oh yeah, cause you called me last night." The real answer was because he was playing games on it instead of reading the other day, but my kids never cease to think "Ms. Jackson calls me" jokes are funny.

After school today, Tr came in because he was very mad about the grade that he made on his project. I told him if he wrote the poem that he was supposed, I'd give him ten points back, which brought his grade up to a C. Mr. Willoughby told the janitor, John, to check on me, so at one point, John was just sweeping in front of my room. When T finally left, having a written a wonderful poem, I might add, John stuck his head in to ask me if I was okay. I could have given him the biggest hug ever. It was so sweet. Of course I was fine, but I really do appreciate being checked up on, especially when the students that I'm helping can be volatile and are bigger than me. Lately, I just really appreciate being asked how I am. It's strange to interact with so many people all day and for them to not know what state I'm in.

1 comment:

Megan said...

wow that is so true! After talking to you and Rachel I just want to go back in time and give all my teachers the biggest hugs ever!!! I want to know how you are. I haven't talked to you in so long! But it was nice to hear your voice on your valentine's song!