Monday, January 5, 2009

I'm not as melancholy as this sounds.

The only boy I ever dated is married as of Saturday.

I am not sad, or bitter, because I am glad that I didn't marry him. I'm just in awe of the marriage phenomenon.

It seems so unreal that people my age are married.

Maybe some day I will get it and it won't seem so fake and crazy.

In the meantime, I will keep being happy for everyone else as they enter into their relationships, engagements and marriages, because that's what good friends do. And I will continue to leave the curling iron on and my hair half fixed as I run out of the house to go see the latest ring on my friends' left hand ring finger. And I will keep smiling every time they attempt to console me with platitudes, even though I didn't ask or want for consolation.

Platitudes are close to platypuses, only I think that platypuses are more fun. Why can't people give me platypuses instead?



PS. Married and engaged and relationed friends, I hope you don't take this personally.

4 comments:

Leah said...

oooh i laughed out loud about the platypuses. if i buy a ring for myself and put it on my left hand ring finger, will you come and see it?

Allen F. said...

I think platypuses are proof God has a sense of humor...

If the fact that sometimes his timing seems to be off from ours just to show us He is there was not enough.

grace said...

i completely agree. platypuses are wayyyy cooler. about 5 of my friends got engaged over christmas. 2 of them are round about my age. it's crazy, hey?? eeshhh. long live the platypuses!! :)

Emily said...

gimme a platypus any day, gf. ...or a bf. j/k
omg, how many internet acronyms can I use in one post? wtf lol