Thursday, May 5, 2011

All year I have had a student that I loved dearly even though he was super difficult. He got into fights, did drugs, got in trouble at school for various reasons, wasn't overly liked by his teachers...For me, it wasn't easy to love D. I think sometimes when you decide to love someone, it makes them love you back. For that reason, we had a really good relationship. When he had trouble with other classes, he would come sit in my room.

D. has skipped a lot lately. Yesterday he came into school. He informed me that he woke up and rode the bus just to see me and that he would be leaving after first period. He told me he told his ride to pick him up right after first period ended so he could go to my class. Then his ride got there early. D. told me to do whatever I needed to do, but that he had to go. He said goodbye and walked out.

Today I got an email from his Mom. She was withdrawing him. He would finish high school at the community college to get his GED.

It dawned on me that yesterday was goodbye. He knew it; I just didn't.

I'm feel really sad about this decision even though I think it's for the best; I'm just going to miss my kid.

No comments: